Pages

Tuesday 9 October 2018

Saxon Mill Fields at stupid o'clock

Saxon Mill fields at dawn
I closed my front door quietly early on Sunday morning and placed my hand on the windscreen of my car only for it to stick to a layer of ice, I wondered for a second why I was being so stupid and didn't retreat back to the warmth of my bed.  However, I had arranged to meet Lizzy and Jack at Saxon Mill Fields for a spot of birding and vismigging that morning and decided to brave the 1degree temperature.

As I climbed the small hill where vismigging is done from, the rising sun and cloud formation was creating a lovely sight over the spire of Old Milverton Church.

Lizzy and Jack were at their usual spot and had already recorded their first Redwings flying over for the autumn.  As it grew lighter, Jack's sharp eyes pinpointed birds way in the distance which my poor middle-aged eyes could not grab onto without the help of binoculars and over the course of the morning we recorded a decent passage of Meadow Pipits and Skylarks going south (185 degree line) and Redwings, including a single Fieldfare going west.

Even though I am not a believer in the hype surrounding certain places in South Warwickshire being significant flyways for certain types of migrating birds, it is obvious due to its location in the kink of the Avon on slightly high ground that Saxon Mill Fields could attract something a bit more unusual, especially as it is watched by someone with infectious optimism and sharp eyes.

For me, I was just glad for a change of scene away from the heavily disturbed Racecourse.  Talking of which, please could the birder I was speaking to on the Racecourse the other day contact me via this blog so that I can keep you updated on birds seen and projects being undertaken.  Also it would be great if you could supply me with your records and also past records for when you used to walk at Saxon Mill fields - Thank you.