Pages

Monday 14 October 2013

Shetlands Day 1 - 05/10/2013

I had been keeping an eye on the wind the week before I was due to travel up to the Shetlands and was not anticipating much from the trip, as the forecast was a shift from South Easterlies to South Westerlies.  After sitting in Glasgow airport and then on the runaway and then back at the terminal because Air Traffic Control had decided to reroute my final leg of the journey to Sumburgh, my mood slowly became that of despair.  As, while I was pulling my hair out in a soulless airport terminal, many birders were enjoying mega's such as Eastern Olivaceous Warbler and Thick-billed Warbler on Shetland Mainland.

I finally arrived at Sumburgh Airport and was met in arrivals by Judd from Shetland Wildlife who was to be my (well, our group) guide for the week.  I had decided to travel with Shetland Wildlife as it was my first foray to the Shetlands and I wanted a hassle free time where all food, accommodation and travel details had already been arranged (and they were very efficient with all of this).  I also felt a guide may be in order as I would be venturing into new birding territory and areas of identification where I at times would probably require assistance (we all have to start somewhere and I ain't afraid to admit that there are areas of birding identification that I still need to hone).

Thick-billed Warbler torpedo
Anyway, Judd whisked me away in a minibus to Geosetter, where a group of about 50 twitchers or birders (choose which ever expression you prefer) were gathered round a crop field in which the Thick-billed Warbler was hiding.  It had been agreed with the landowner that a controlled flush of the bird could be carried out by  Shetland Wildlife and two of them made their way to where the bird was last seen.  This allowed everyone present to obtain good clear flight views of the bird.  My photo shows the bird in torpedo mode.  Also in nearby bushes was a Yellow Browed Warbler.

On the way back, I was dropped off so that I could view a Short-toed Lark which obligingly dropped onto the driveway up to our Hotel.

Short-toed Lark

After two lifers within 30 minutes, I was again more excited as to what the following days would produce and during the evening met my companions for the following week ahead

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.