Pages

Friday 29 March 2013

The Two Moors

I headed down to Otmoor this morning at 5:30am.  As I turned off the A34 and headed through Islip, the temperature gauge on my car went from -1 down to -3.  To prevent myself from freezing to the path, I did a quick march to the 2nd screen, which always feels like about 3 miles but probably is only just over a mile and sat myself down to look for the long staying "Fudge" Duck among the Pochard and Tufted Duck.  Knowing what skulking birds theses ducks can be in reed beds, I was not that hopeful (especially after dipping on one at Ham Wall earlier this month).  However, this individual proved to be very obliging and was the nearest bird to the screen.  I did attempt a couple of record shots but the light was not that favourable at 6:30am in the morning and the duck decided to remain asleep.


As you can only look at a sleeping duck for so long, I headed back to the car via the hide and clocked the other birds that were on the reserve, which included Wigeon, Teal, Pintail, Reed Buntings, Red Kites and Lapwings.

After a quick drive I was soon at the other moor (Farmoor), where I ambled along the causeway observing 4 Scaup, a Red Crested Pochard, two Wheatear, Rock Pipits and a very flighty Black Redstart.  Out in the centre were at least two Little Gulls (which provided far nearer views than we get at Draycote Water).  On the way back to the car I bumped into a couple of Birders who I had seen at Otmoor and as we were chatting, a Sand Martin (my first for the year) flew over our heads.







A great mornings birding with quite a few species that I do not see that often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.