Pages

Saturday 2 March 2013

Another attempt at the Draycote roost

As the light was so good today, I decided to check out the Draycote roost this afternoon.  To avoid being caught out by the gulls roosting in places not expected, I took my bike along with me.  I arrived at about 4:30pm, cycled half way round from Thurlaston and pitched up.  The reservoir was covered with a white coating of gulls by this time but all I could find were the odd Greater Black Backed, Common Gulls and hundreds of Black Headed.  During this time I was accompanied by several Pied Wagtails fluttering around and one Grey Wagtail.  As the sun began to set, I noticed that the larger gulls seemed to nearer the other side where two other birders were watching, so I made my way over to them.  They were obviously skilled veterans at gull roosts and soon had located Yellow Legged Gulls of varying ages. After dark, I made my home via Grandborough Fields to see if I could spot any Little Owls in the area but had to contend with just one Barn Owl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.