Pages

Friday 17 January 2014

Decisions

In this week of non birding, I have been thinking about how I want to bird this year.

I have already made the choice that I will not actively pursue a year list.  This decision was made as I have no trips to the Scillies or Shetlands booked (yet!!).  Last year I became a bit too obsessive and I also feel that the next target would have to be 300 if I was to do a year list, which would probably leave me with a not so understanding birder's wife (or it may not leave with a birder's wife at all).

My birder's wife has already made the choice that she will have her own very casual year list and I will join her in this and may then just only try for new species this year, although that alone is a bit hollow and non fulfilling.

I have thought about signing up and registering with the patch birding initiative but for one reason or another have decided not to and am reporting my sightings through Birdtrack anyway.

So, after much umming and ahhing I have decided to do the following:-

1/ I find the whole idea of patch birding and self finding to be a very encouraging thing and intend to try and bird within walking distance of my home on a more frequent basis this year.
2/  I intend to find my own patch and work it as often as possible (I am going for an investigative trip this weekend).
3/  I intend to build on my life list and twitch just new birds.
4/  For every twitch or birding trip that I make which is over 10 miles from my house, I in turn will do an extra visit to my surrounding area or chosen patch.

Onwards and upwards.........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.