Pages

Sunday 15 December 2013

Back to local birding

As my birder's wife had gone out for her monthly massage, I decided to take a stroll round my local reserve at Hampton Woods.  On the way, I stopped by my Little Owl tree and said "hello".

Little Owl
The woods this afternoon were alive with birds, Redwing and Fieldfare were busy feeding on the berries while there were scatterings of Chaffinches and a couple of Bullfinches.  On route to the river I refilled the feeders and followed a Sparrowhawk as it hightailed it down the pathway in front of me. The river held two Mute Swans, several Moorhens, a Water Rail in the reeds and a Kingfisher flew past.  Also nearby, were 4 Canada Geese, a large flock of Jackdaw and a mini murmuration of about 200 Starlings.

As I ambled back to the car, the birds had already discovered the newly filled feeders, with Great Tits, Long Tailed Tits, Blue Tits and two Nuthatch taking advantage of a late afternoon feed.

Birds I have now seen at that reserve include:-

Blackbird, Bullfinch, Canada Goose, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, Coal Tit, Collared Dove, Fieldfare, Goldcrest, Goldfinch, Great Tit, Greenfinch, Grey Wagtail, Jackdaw, Jay, Kingfisher, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Moorhen, Mute Swan, Nuthatch, Pheasant, Pied Wagtail, Raven, Redwing, Reed Bunting, Robin, Rook, Song Thrush, Sparrowhawk, Starling, Water Rail, Whitethroat, Wood Pigeon, Wren.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.