Pages

Sunday 28 July 2013

Caspian Tern

After a few weeks of seeing nothing really except for my local Little Owl, you couldn't really blame me for having an urge to go on a twitch.  It all began last Wednesday, when news broke that a Wood Sandpiper had dropped in at Brandon and I in turn also dropped in at Brandon to see it, my first for the year.  This wet my appetite to go on a twitch at the weekend and I gave my birders wife advance notice of my intentions.

I earmarked today as my twitching day and hoped that something would be around to go and see and after checking distances and likelihood of dipping, I opted for the Caspian Tern in Staffordshire and even managed to persuade my birders wife to accompany me.

Caspian Tern
After negotiating the M6 and a myriad of speed cameras on the A roads, we arrived safely at our destination, only to discover that we had to walk the final 500 metres, disgraceful and what did we have to reward us at the end of the walk? No Caspian Tern as it had decided to commute to its favourite roosting place over in Cheshire.  My birders wife decided to walk back to the car to fetch our coffee and lunch and while I waited for her to return, we were entertained by two Ravens flying over, a Common Sandpiper and several Little Ringed Plovers on the mudflats.

Caspian Tern
On the return of my birders wife laden down with our lunch, waterproofs and flask, we settled ourselves down for a long wait. However, just as I was beginning to worry that it was going to be a long wait, I noticed a white bird flying in and after focusing on the said bird discovered it to be the Caspian Tern. The bird decided to do a quick tour of the reservoir, fishing and diving before flying past us and settling down on the north shore to preen.

As it was midday, we decided to take advantage of being in the area and had a drive round some of the Peak District which was about 5 miles away.  I was hoping to come across Stonechats or better still, Whinchats but unfortunately we could not find anyway and decided to make our way home instead via Shugborough Hall NT and Cannock Chase.  A great days birding with some culture added in, felt like a small holiday - I will sleep well tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.