Pages

Sunday 8 January 2012

Brandon Moonscape

After missing out on the Whooper Swans who appeared at Brandon Marsh yesterday, I thought I would try my luck at the Marsh and see if I could spot the Bittern as it goes about it's business at roosting time. We arrived at 3pm this afternoon and thought we would take the long route round the reserve to see what we could find.  It was not long before we came across a Tit flock containing Blue Tits, Great Tits, Long Tailed Tits and some surprise guests in the form of two gorgeous and very healthy looking Goldcrests.  Ten yards further on we came across a Treecreeper, who may also been tagging along in the flock.  To ensure we had full advantage of the remaining day light, we took a short cut to arrive at the main hide.  The view from this hide provided us with a mixed Gull flock (mainly Blackheaded and Common and about two Lesser Black Backed), Lapwing, Snipe, Shovellor, Pochard, Tufties and 4 Goldeneye.  As dusk fell, I managed to capture thise amateurish photo with my phone (all very atmospheric).  Unfortunately, the Bittern was otherwise engaged, however a Water Rail flew obligingly from one side of the reeds to the other thus reducing my yearly misses to seven (must do better).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.